Voted one of the world's most beautiful lighthouses, Fanad Lighthouse is one of 12 the Great Lighthouses of Ireland. It is located on Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way. The Fanad Lighthouse was first exhibited on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, 181.
Fanad Lighthouse was built after the shipwreck of the Royal Navy Frigate, Saldanha, where 250 people died. The only survivor was the Captain’s parrot.
A helipad was added in 1921 for emergency services for Tory Island and Inishtrshull.
In 2012, the Commissioner of Irish Lights approached the community for their input on the idea of refurbishing the Fanad Lighthouse and opening it for tourism. The community group established Forbairt Fhanada Teoranta to manage Fanad Lighthouse. They administer accommodations, guided tours and the Visitors Center.