Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Amelia Island Lighthouse is Florida's oldest lighthouse. Originally built to guide vessels entering the St. Mary’s River and the Atlantic Ocean, the former Cumberland Lighthouse was moved due to changes in the channel that made it obsolete. It was dismantled brick by brick and transported by ship to Amelia Island. After being reconstructed, the lighthouse was lit in 1839 as Amelia Island Lighthouse.
The City of Fernandina owns and preserves the lighthouse. However, the Coast Guard along with the Coast Guard Auxiliary are responsible for the functioning of the beacon at the Amelia Island Lighthouse.