Egmont Key Lighthouse
At one time a Conch shell was used at Egmont Key Lighthouse to answer signals from passing vessels. The current lighthouse was built 1857 and is located at Egmont Key National Wildlife Refuge. Established in 1974, the Refuge is a sanctuary for sea turtles, shorebirds, colonial seabirds and other migratory birds.
In 1898, during the Spanish American War, Fort Dade was built on the Egmont Key as part of a coastal defense system.
The lighthouse slowly diminished in importance and in stature. In 1944, the upper portion of the lighthouse was removed along with the Fresnel lens. In 1989, an automated rotating beacon was installed.